Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Mountains were his masters

For Mike Gabow

Appalachia, come freeze on those ancient mountains
with me,

Appalachia, come drain the green blood
of the green fairy's nose,

Appalachia, come puff thick clouds of smoke
sent steaming into chilly air,

Appalachia, come sleep one last night before
I go,

Appalachia, come dream another dream
of where you'll know,

Appalachia, come climb the rusty hills of
georgia heading north,

Appalachia, come dawn the oaken branches
and scarlet birds will sing,

Appalachia, come dusk the footsteps and the
struggling fire will fade,

Appalachia, come spring on the
trail led by rains,

Appalachia, come summer and rolling fields,
fleshy green meadows,

Appalachia, come fall I'll be home again
flush and fresh faced in the great white north,

Appalachia, come winter I'll be gone from you
and your endless white summits,

Appalachia, come 'round the mountain
to sing your haunting songs,

Appalachia, come with me all my life,

Appalachia, Appalachia, I am yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment